My name is Shauna Brown and I am a former Middle and High School History and Spanish Teacher. I taught for four years in Utah and one year in California before moving to the beautiful state of Colorado. I have been busy raising my three children but have missed the classroom and students I can teach and mentor. The last three years I have been a Substitute Teacher in the Douglas County School District which ignited my passion for teaching once again. I am thrilled to be a part of the Summit Homeschool Academy and look forward to welcoming students as they work to achieve their goals.
Hello Families! I am a student-centered educator, with public, private and Christian School teaching experience that spans all grades from K to Grad School. My experience includes special education and inclusive classrooms as well as one-on-one tutoring. With more than 23 years teaching Spanish, I am passionate about supporting fun, creative and positive learning experiences.
Hi! My name is Katchen Marlow. I started working in education in 2000. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Child and Adolescent Studies/Development, a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, and a Master of Arts in Cross-Cultural Education. I have taught preschool to sixth grade. I also have experience working with children with learning disabilities and special needs. After becoming a mom I have primarily spent the last twelve years at home with my own three children. Our family relocated from California to Colorado about a year and a half ago. Now that my youngest child is in school, I’m excited to be getting back into education and the classroom. I’m looking forward to helping guide and support you and your child in your homeschool journey and to being a part of Summit Homeschool Academy.
I have been a teacher for 28 years - going into my 29th year as of this August 2022. I am passionate about providing learning to each student so that their unique needs are met. I attempt to include all modalities into my lessons to accommodate every learner, but am very open to a student saying that they need something taught again or in a different manner.
Hello Families! My name is Richelle Mckim, and I'm the Director and one of the Founders of Summit Homeschool Academy. I have a Business degree in Finance and a home-schooling mom. Our homeschool journey began in 2020 during COVID... This is the program I looked for and couldn't find. I wanted something that would streamline the core academics and also find a place for my son to have classmates. We ended up quitting homeschool because we felt so isolated... which is how my passion to help with this program grew. I wanted to help my son find community, while knowing that he wouldn't fall behind and that I'd have support with co-ops and planning the year. And thus, along with our founders and support from BOCES EdReeinvisioned, Summit Home School Academy was born. This school is a labor of love and it's an honor to be a part of!
• CEO, The Schuck Initiatives 2021 – present
• Capitol Advantage (Owner) 2019 – 2021
Public Affairs Consultant
• Vice President, Corporate and Government Relations, 2016 – 2019
Whiting Petroleum Corporation, Denver, CO
• President, Colorado Senate 2015 – 2016
• Colorado State Senator 2008 – 2016
• Colorado State Representative 2001 – 2008
• Owner, Advantage Marketing & Public Relations, Colorado Springs, CO 2000 – 2016
• Office Manager, US Rep. Joel Hefley, Colorado Springs, CO 1994 – 2000
• Director of Development, LifeSkills of Colorado Springs, CO 1992 – 1994
• Marketing Director, CFS Inc., Huntington Beach, CA 1989 – 1991
• B.A. Business Administration and Marketing / California State University
• U.S. Army / Classified Weapons Custodian / Mountaineering & Survival Instructor
COMMUNITY SERVICE AND BOARDS (Current and Former)
• Summit Homeschool Academy / Board President
• Life Success International Academy / Board Member
• National Sports Center for the Disabled / Sponsor and Program Participant
• Pikes Peak Regional Council, El Pomar Foundation / Council Member
• Colorado Statewide Internet Portal Authority / Chairman of the Board
• Colorado Springs Therapeutic Recreational Aquatics Program / Volunteer
• American Legislative Exchange Council / Board Member
• Chins Up Youth and Family Services (Emily Griffith) / Board Member
Emilie has a Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education and a Masters in Curriculum. She is currently a 1st grade Teacher and specialized in early literacy. Emilie spent her first 15 years in Castle Rock developing the Children's Ministry at Plum Creek Church.
Toni Smith is the Founder of We The Woman, and CoFounder of Summit Homeschool Academy. As a retired Kindergarten Teacher, she has a passion for excellence and truth in education. She brings her years of experience as an insurance brokerage owner to guide the school in wisdom and integrity.
Homeschooling can be an awesome and exciting choice for your family, but there may be a ton of questions that come with it. Whether you're looking to homeschool your child or join our staff and become a homeschool teacher, we're here for you! Please use the "Get In Touch" button to message us (and submit a resume if you are a teacher). We look forward to hearing from and helping you!
2607 5th Street, Castle Rock, Colorado 80104, United States
School Tours are available by appointment or by RSVP on:
June 14th 1-3pm
July 26th 1-3 pm
August 3rd 3-5 pm
August 17th 3-5pm
May 24, 2022 10:00 am - Black Rock Coffee
September 23, 2022 10:00 - at Summit Homeschool Academy
February 13, 2023 3:45 - at Summit Homeschool Academy:
May 9, 2023 3:45 - at Summit Homeschool Academy
Approved Minutes 22-5-24 Board Meeting (docx)Download
Approved Minutes 22-9-23 Board Meeting (docx)Download
Approved Minutes 22-11-7 Special Board Meeting (docx)Download
Summit Board Meeting Notes 2023 0213 (pdf)Download
23-5-8 Board Meeting (docx)Download
2023 Annual Board Report - Summit Homeschool Academy (pdf)Download